Applying to the Program
Each year, a small number of Georgetown College sophomores are selected through a rigorous application and interview process. Applications are reviewed by a group of Baker Scholar Trustees and program administrators from the Georgetown College Dean’s Office, followed by interviews with current Baker Scholars. Selected finalists are invited to participate in a one-day series of interviews with groups of Baker Scholar Trustees and the decanal representative, to inform final selections.
Bakers Scholars are required to be on campus and part of the program for a minimum of three semesters. Therefore, students who plan to spend the entirety of their junior year abroad are not eligible. Likewise, students that study abroad for a semester and are planning on graduating early may not be a part of the program.
Current Baker Scholars hold a series of information sessions on campus prior to and during the application period. One information session will be held in the fall semester and four information sessions will be held in the spring semester. Prospective applicants should plan to attend at least one of the information sessions.
- Thursday, December 5th, 2019 at 8:00 pm in ICC 107
- Saturday, January 11th, 2020 at 2:00 pm in ICC 107
- Tuesday, January 14th, 2020 at 8:00 pm in ICC 108
- Sunday, January 19th, 2020 at 2:00 pm in ICC 108
- Wednesday January 22nd, 2020 at 8:00 pm in ICC 108
Chat and Chews
Prospective applicants are encouraged to connect with and learn more about the program from the current Baker Scholars. The Baker Scholars will be hosting a series of Chat and Chews when current Scholars will be available to discuss the program and the application process over coffee or pastries outside of Midnight Mug. Stop by to get your burning questions answered!
Sunday, January 26th
10:30 am to 12:30 pm with Karen Shi
Monday, January 27th
2:00 pm to 4:00 pm with Charlotte Böhning
The Baker Scholars will be hosting two resume workshops where a current Baker Scholar will be available to review your resume and provide feedback. This is another great opportunity to connect with and meet the current Baker Scholars.
- Friday, January 17th, from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm in Regents Hall, Room 550 (Baker Conference Room)
- Friday, January 24th, from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm in ICC 234
The Baker Scholars Program application is now available to Georgetown College sophomores. The application deadline is Wednesday, January 29th, 2020, at 12:00 pm noon ET.
- Read the application carefully and follow the instructions explicitly.
- Complete the application, adhering to the word limits for each question. If a question does not apply to you, please respond Not Applicable for that question.
- Submit a one-page résumé through the online application system. This résumé should outline your education, activities, community service, and employment history. It must be submitted in PDF form.
- Provide one letter of recommendation from an individual who can speak to your character. We recommend a Georgetown professor or administrator, coach, high school teacher or counselor, or employer. Provide the recommendation form to your recommender in advance of the deadline. Your recommender must email the recommendation to the Baker Scholars Program at email@example.com no later than Wednesday, January 29th, 2020 at 12:00 pm noon ET.
NOTE: You may wish to see the questions and draft your responses ahead of time. You will not be able to save a partially completed application.
- Application deadline, including letter of recommendation and résumé: Wednesday, January 29, 2020, at 12:00 pm noon ET
- Email notification of applicant’s status from Ms. Candace Mosely to all applicants: Friday, February 28, 2020
- Semi-finalist interviews with current Baker Scholars: Monday, March 2, 2020 – Friday, March 6, 2020
- Email notification of semi-finalist’s status from Ms. Candace Mosey to all semi-finalists: Monday, March 23, 2020
- Finalists’ on-campus interviews with Trustees and Administrators: Friday, April 3, 2020
- Selection results announced by phone from Ms. Candace Mosely to each finalist: Saturday, April 4, 2020 by 1:00 pm
- Welcome Luncheon for the Baker Scholars Class of 2022: Saturday, April 6, 2020 from 1:00 pm to 2:00 pm
For more information, please contact Candace Mosely in the College Dean’s office at (202) 687-4744 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.