Applying to the Program
Each year, a small number of Georgetown College sophomores are selected through a rigorous application and interview process. Applications are reviewed by a group of Baker Scholar Trustees and program administrators from the Georgetown College Dean’s Office, followed by interviews with current Baker Scholars. Selected finalists are invited to participate in a one-day series of interviews with groups of Baker Scholar Trustees and the decanal representative, to inform final selections.
Bakers Scholars are required to be on campus and part of the program for a minimum of three semesters. Therefore, students who plan to spend the entirety of their junior year abroad are not eligible. Likewise, students that study abroad for a semester and are planning on graduating early may not be a part of the program.
Current Baker Scholars hold a series of information sessions prior to and during the application period. One information session will be held in the fall semester and four information sessions will be held in the spring semester. Prospective applicants should plan to attend at least one of the information sessions.
- Thursday, December 10, 2020 at 6:00 pm EST via Zoom
- Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 7:00 pm EST via Zoom
- Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 2:00 pm EST via Zoom
- Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 8:00 pm EST via Zoom
- Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 2:00 pm EST via Zoom
Virtual Office Hours. The Baker Scholars will be hosting a series of office hours for potential applicants to meet current Bakers and to ask questions about the program and the application process.
- Monday, February 1st, from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm EST with Hayley Grande (C’20) and Bailey Bane (C’21): https://georgetown.zoom.us/j/99862266326
- Wednesday, February 3rd, from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm EST with Ellis Anderson (C’20), Chloe Quigley (C’20), and Roberto Hidalgo (C’21): https://georgetown.zoom.us/j/98497685886
- Friday, February 5th, from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm EST with Kevin Hautigan (C’20) and Ava Stiles (C’21): https://georgetown.zoom.us/j/93947437237
- Sunday, February 7th, from 2:00 pm to 3:30 pm EST with Alero Oyinlola (C’21) and Joan Spirollari (C’21): https://georgetown.zoom.us/j/94970382274
- Monday, February 8th, from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm EST with George Cortazzi (C’20), Seo Young Lee (C’20), and Victoria Smith (C’21): https://georgetown.zoom.us/j/97385995308
Ad Marketing: The Truth Behind Social Documentary The Social Dilemma
Tuesday, February 9th, at 5:00 pm EST
Baker alumnus Ryan Maynard (C’03), Senior Director of Ad Strategy at The Knot Worldwide, will discuss the truth behind ad marketing in relation to Netlflix’ The Social Dilemma. Please register in advance but, in order to make this event an engaging and interactive session, it will be limited to the first 50 attendees to join the Zoom meeting.
The Baker Scholars Program Application Form (new window) is now available to Georgetown College sophomores. The application deadline is Wednesday, February 10, 2021, at 12:00 pm noon ET.
- Read the application carefully and follow the instructions explicitly.
- Complete the application, adhering to the word limits for each question. If a question does not apply to you, please respond Not Applicable for that question.
- Submit a one-page résumé through the online application system. This résumé should outline your education, activities, community service, and employment history. It must be submitted in PDF form.
- Provide one letter of recommendation from an individual who can speak to your character. We recommend a Georgetown professor or administrator, coach, high school teacher or counselor, or employer. Provide the recommendation form to your recommender in advance of the deadline. Your recommender must email the recommendation to the Baker Scholars Program at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 12:00 pm noon ET.
NOTE: You may wish to see the questions and draft your responses ahead of time. You will not be able to save a partially completed application.
- Application deadline, including letter of recommendation and résumé: Wednesday, February 10, 2021, at 12:00 pm noon ET
- Email notification of applicant’s status from Ms. Candace Mosely to all applicants: Friday, March 12, 2021
- Semi-finalist virtual interviews with current Baker Scholars: Monday, March 15, 2021 – Friday, March 26, 2021
- Email notification of semi-finalist’s status from Ms. Candace Mosey to all semi-finalists: Monday, April 12, 2021
- Finalist virtual interviews with Trustees and Administrators: Friday, April 16, 2021
- Selection results announced by phone from Ms. Candace Mosely to each finalist: Saturday, April 17, 2021 by 1:00 pm
- Welcome Luncheon for the Baker Scholars Class of 2023: Date and time to be determined
For more information, please contact Candace Mosely in the College Dean’s office at email@example.com.