Making the transition from high school to college can be overwhelming. Many of us remember feeling both excited and terrified by the sudden independence. We remember the fear of facing big decisions early on without the information, resources, and background that comes with being a sophomore, junior, or senior.
The Georgetown College Dean’s Office believes that current students can be helpful to new students during this transition period by sharing experiences, providing insight, and responding to questions and concerns.
Peer advisors are matched with incoming first-year and transfer students over the summer. Students who enter the College with a declared major are matched to a peer advisor with the same or similar major. Students who enter the College undeclared are matched with a peer advisor who entered the College the same way: in a position to explore different areas before choosing a major course of study.
Be a Peer Advisor
Rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors are invited to apply for our Peer Advisor Program. To be eligible for the program, peer advisors must be in good academic and social standing, plan to study on campus in the fall semester, be accessible over the summer by email and phone, and be able to attend mandatory peer advisor events that begin the Thursday before New Student Orientation and continue through the first day of classes.
Peer advisor responsibilities include:
- Contacting advisees over the summer to introduce themselves and answer questions
- Assisting advisees with the preregistration process over the summer
- Working closely with the dean's office and faculty advisors during New Student Orientation
- Assisting advisees with preregistration results, schedule completion, and the add/drop period
- Maintaining good contact with advisees throughout the year
- Attending peer advisor events
First-years, sophomores, and juniors are invited to apply to the program each spring through an online application. If you have any questions about the program, please contact Assistant Dean Stefan Zimmers.