Application Open for 2015–16 College Peer Advisors
Posted in General Page
March 23, 2015—Georgetown College peer advisors serve an essential role in the orientation of our newest Hoyas. As a peer advisor, you will be assigned to a small group of incoming students. You will work with them over the summer to help them understand degree requirements, select and register for their first courses, and answer any and all of their questions about academics and life at Georgetown. You will also play an integral role in New Student Orientation.
If you enjoy mentoring your peers and feel you have valuable advice to give, please consider serving as a peer advisor.
The deadline for applying for the College Peer Advisor Program is Tuesday, March 31 at 9:00 a.m.
To be eligible for the program:
- Students must be in good academic and social standing, have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0, be studying on campus in the Fall 2015 semester, be accessible over the summer by email and phone, and be able to return to campus by noon on Thursday, August 27th.
To be selected for the program:
- Students must submit thoughtful responses to the application questions. It should be clear to the selection committee that the applicant has a true interest in advising new students and that he/she will work hard to provide only accurate and positive advice.
Please note that it is not advisable for students to serve as both College peer advisors and orientation advisors due to the demands of both roles during New Student Orientation.
Peer advisor responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
1. Contacting advisees over the summer to assist and reassure them as they complete the preregistration process
2. Working closely with the College dean’s office and faculty advisors during New Student Orientation and the fall 2015 add/drop period
3. Assisting advisees with preregistration results, schedule completion, and add/drop
4. Maintaining good contact with advisees throughout the year
5. Attending peer advisor events as scheduled
The application is available by logging on with your NetID and password at:
Please note that you will not be able to save a partial application. Your application is not complete until a confirmation message is displayed on the screen.
If you have any questions about the Georgetown College Peer Advisor Program, please contact Erin Force, assistant dean, at firstname.lastname@example.org.