Study Abroad

Georgetown University College of Arts & Sciences students have the opportunity to study abroad all over the world. Students may choose a university-sponsored program or propose an independent program. Independent programs must be pre-approved by the dean’s office. Students may also apply to one of two Georgetown centers overseas: Villa Le Balze in Florence, Italy, or the School of Foreign Service in Doha, Qatar.

Most students matriculate directly into the foreign university, enrolling in the host university’s courses with native students who are pursuing degree programs. By being fully integrated at the host university, Georgetown students are better able to make the most of the overseas experience.

Applying to Study Abroad

Students should begin their research by visiting the Office of Global Education (OGE) website to identify countries and programs of interest. Student should attend an information session to learn about program choices and the application process. Students can also discuss options with peer advisors and returning students. Each week, OGE advisors offer online chat sessions for particular countries and regions; view the online chat schedule.

Students must also meet with their dean to discuss how potential study abroad plans may fit with their degree plan and requirements. Some departments place limits on the number of courses that may be transferred to the major or minor. See Study Abroad Transfer Credit for department-specific information.

Students prepare a formal application for each site, typically a first and second choice. See the Office of Global Education for detailed application instructions. Before final submission, the proposal is reviewed by the student’s major department, dean, and the Office of Global Education. Proposals are approved by the College’s nomination and placement committee.

While Abroad

Once abroad, students finalize their registration and select courses. Students should also remember to bring copies of coursework and syllabi back to Georgetown.  

Back at Georgetown

After returning from abroad, students must provide a transfer credit evaluation form—with approval signatures from their major and minor department overseas study advisors—to their dean. Once the deans receive an official transcript from the host university, they will post transfer credit to the student’s MyDegree audit and indicate any credits that may count toward majors, minors, or core requirements.